large onion, finely chopped
large cloves garlic, minced
carrot, finely chopped
stalk celery, finely chopped
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
15 ounce can tomato sauce
tablespoon tomato paste
cup dry red wine
tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
fresh basil leaves, torn
tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Handmade Italian Meatballs (see Recipe Center)
Hot cooked spaghetti
- In 4-quart Dutch oven cook onion, garlic, carrot, and celery in hot oil for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, wine, parsley, basil, Italian seasoning, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired), and bay leaves.
- Bring sauce to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare Handmade Italian Meatballs. Serve sauce with meatballs over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Mama's Marinara)
- Per serving:
- 669 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 109 mg chol.,
- 1537 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet