Keep this pesto on hand in the freezer so it's always ready when you need it.
- Yields: 12 (1-tablespoon) servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- In a blender container or food processor bowl combine fresh basil leaves; parsley sprigs; grated Parmesan or Romano cheese; pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds; garlic; and salt. Cover and blend or process with several on-off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping the sides.
- With the machine running, gradually add olive oil or cooking oil and blend or process to the consistency of soft butter. Divide into 3 portions (about 1/4 cup each) and place in small airtight containers. Refrigerate for 1 or 2 days or freeze up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw 1 portion pesto, if frozen. Bring to room temperature. Makes twelve 1-tablespoon servings.
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 78 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 mg chol.,
- 128 mg sodium,
- 1 g carb.,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet