- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups mesquite wood chips
- 1 3 - 4 pound boneless beef sirloin roast
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup purchased onion jam or onion relish
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 12 sourdough and/or whole wheat mini rolls, split and toasted, if desired
- 1 cup purchased roasted red sweet peppers, cut into strips
- 2 cups arugula leaves, rinsed and dried
1. At least 1 hour before cooking, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Trim fat from sirloin roast. For rub, in a small bowl combine the chipotle chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cumin. Sprinkle rub evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat.
2. Drain wood chips. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Sprinkle wood chips over coals. Place beef roast on grill rack above the drip pan. Cover and smoke for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until desired doneness (meat thermometer registers 140 degree F for medium-rare doneness or 155 degree F for medium doneness). Cover the beef roast with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. (The meats temperature will rise 5 degree F during standing.) Thinly slice the beef. Place in a covered container and chill up to 24 hours.
3. In small bowl combine the onion jam and horseradish.
4. Spread the cut roll tops with jam-horseradish mixture. Place sliced roast beef on roll bottoms. Top roast beef with roasted red pepper strips and arugula; add prepared bun tops. Cover and chill any remaining beef up to 2 days. Makes 12 sandwiches (using 2 ounces cooked meat per sandwich).
- Sirloin roast may be smoked ahead and frozen or refrigerated one week prior to event to ease last minute prep time. Beef will also slice easier when it is cold.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 453,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 54,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 63,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 35,
- vit. A (IU) 243,
- vit. C (mg) 37,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 3,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 20,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 3,
- sodium (mg) 682,
- Potassium (mg) 458,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet