- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 10 mins to 12 mins
Red Beans and Rice Burgers
15 ounce can no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained or 1-3/4 cooked red kidney beans
cup finely chopped onion
cup finely chopped celery
cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon black pepper
cup cooked brown rice
whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a medium bowl coarsely mash beans with a potato masher or fork. Stir in onion, celery, bread crumbs, cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir in rice.
- Shape the bean mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Preheat a grill pan or large skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan or skillet. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through, turning patties once.
- Serve burgers on toasted hamburger buns with light mayonnaise, spinach, tomato, and/or red onion, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (Red Beans and Rice Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 253 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 392 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 12 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet