Picnic Hot Dog Platter
Make summer cookouts complete by serving hot dogs or sausages topped with especially intriguing mustard sauces.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Grill: 20 mins
Picnic Hot Dog Platter
frankfurters, uncooked bratwurst, smoked pork sausages, veal sausages, turkey sausages, vegetarian frankfurters, or other favorites
dozen frankfurther or bratwurst buns or French-style rolls, split
recipe Tart Apple Mustard, Bacon Brown-Sugar Mustard, and/or Early Girl Tomato Mustard (recipes follows)
Other condiments, such as chopped pickled peppers, sliced tomatoes, pickle relish, and crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- Pierce uncooked sausages all over with a fork or cut several shallow crosswise slits in each uncooked sausage.
- In a grill with a cover arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Grill uncooked sausages on grill rack above the drip pan turning once for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown and a thermometer registers 170 degrees F. Grill frankfurters and cooked sausages on grill rack above the drip pan for 10 minutes or until brown and a thermometer registers 165 degrees F, turning once. Place in buns and top with desired mustards and condiments. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Nutrition facts per frankfurter, bun, and about 1 tablespoon Tart Apple Mustard.
Tart Apple Mustard
cup honey mustard
tablespoons shredded green apple
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl stir together honey mustard, shredded green apple, and ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to blend flavors before serving. Store any remaining mustard in the refrigerator up to 24 hours. Makes about 2/3 cup.
Bacon Brown-Sugar Mustard
- In a small bowl stir together yellow mustard, crisp-cooked bacon, and brown sugar. Cover; refrigerate overnight to blend flavors before serving. Store any remaining mustard in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Makes 1 cup.
Early Girl Tomato Mustard
cup creamy Dijon-style mustard blend
teaspoon dry mustard
cup peeled and seeded, chopped tomatoes
- In a small bowl stir together creamy Dijon-style mustard blend and dry mustard until well combined. Gently stir in tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Makes about 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Picnic Hot Dog Platter)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 24 mg chol.,
- 757 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet