Fruited Cheese-filled Lemon Biscuits
- To toast the pecans, spread the nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice.
- For fruited cheese, combine salad dressing and 1/4 cup of the boursin or cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in chopped fruit, cucumber, toasted pecans, and parsley. Set aside.
- Slice biscuits in half horizontally. Spread cut sides with remaining boursin or cream cheese. Line biscuit bottom with lettuce leaves; add 3 to 4 tablespoons fruited cheese and cheese and/or proscuitto slices, dividing equally. Place biscuit top on cheese. Makes 12 sandwiches.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead by folding and pressing gently for 10 to 12 strokes or until the dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter into flour between cuts.
- Basic Lemon Biscuits Stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of dry mixture. Combine 1/3 cup buttermilk and 1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing; add to dry mixture all at once. Stir just until moistened.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from the baking sheet and cool slightly. Serve warm. Makes 6 to 8.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake biscuits as directed; cool completely. Place biscuits in a freezer container or bag and freeze up to 3 months. Before serving, wrap frozen biscuits in foil and bake in a 300 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Fruited Cheese-filled Lemon Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 292 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 14 mg chol.,
- 252 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet