fully cooked bratwurst or knockwurst (about 1 pound)
ounces Monterey Jack cheese with caraway seed
green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
French-style rolls or frankfurter buns, halved lengthwise
Catsup, mustard, chopped onion, and/or pickle relish (optional)
- Cut a lengthwise slit in each bratwurst or knockwurst about 1/2 inch deep. Cut cheese into five 2-1/2x1/2x1/4-inch strips. Insert a cheese strip and some of the green onion into each brat or knockwurst. Wrap a slice of bacon around each. Fasten the bacon with wooden toothpicks.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange preheated coals around a drip pan in a grill that has a cover. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place brats, cheese side up, on the grill rack directly over the pan. Cover and grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted.
- For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place brats on grill rack; cover and grill as directed in step 2.
- Place brats in French-style rolls or buns. If desired, serve with catsup, mustard, chopped onion, and/or pickle relish. Makes 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Cheese-Stuffed Brats)
- Per serving:
- 686 kcal cal.,
- 35 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 68 mg chol.,
- 1718 mg sodium,
- 65 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet