- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 5 fully cooked bratwurst or knockwurst (about 1 pound)
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with caraway seed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 5 slices bacon
- 5 French-style rolls or frankfurter buns, halved lengthwise
- Catsup, mustard, chopped onion, and/or pickle relish (optional)
1. Cut a lengthwise slit in each bratwurst or knockwurst about 1/2 inch deep. Cut cheese into five 2-1/2x1/2x1/4-inch strips. Insert a cheese strip and some of the green onion into each brat or knockwurst. Wrap a slice of bacon around each. Fasten the bacon with wooden toothpicks.
2. For a charcoal grill, arrange preheated coals around a drip pan in a grill that has a cover. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place brats, cheese side up, on the grill rack directly over the pan. Cover and grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted.
3. For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place brats on grill rack; cover and grill as directed in step 2.
4. Place brats in French-style rolls or buns. If desired, serve with catsup, mustard, chopped onion, and/or pickle relish. Makes 5 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 5,
- cal. (kcal) 686,
- Fat, total (g) 35,
- chol. (mg) 68,
- sat. fat (g) 13,
- carb. (g) 65,
- fiber (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 26,
- sodium (mg) 1718,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet