Thanks to the reduced-fat products in this recipe, you can indulge in these cheese-stuffed Italian turnovers. Plan ahead and thaw the dough overnight in the refrigerator.
- Divide bread dough into 8 equal pieces. Place on a floured surface and cover dough with a towel. Let dough rest while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a small covered saucepan cook onion and garlic in a small amount of boiling water until onion is tender. Drain. Stir in spinach and the 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. In a bowl stir together egg, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 6-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture over half of each circle, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold each circle in half, pinching edges or pressing edges together with a fork. Prick tops with a fork. Lightly coat an extra large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; place calzones on sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan stir together tomato sauce, the 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and the garlic salt. Heat through over medium heat. Serve with calzones. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cheese Calzones)
- Per serving:
- 258 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 44 mg chol.,
- 273 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet