- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 12 ounce bottle or can dark German beer
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 uncooked bratwurst links (1-1/4 pounds)
- 5 hoagie buns, bratwursts buns, or other crusty rolls, split and toasted
- 1 recipe Easy Cranberry-Pickle Relish
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Add beer, brown sugar, vinegar, caraway seeds, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Place bratwursts in beer mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Using tongs, remove bratwursts from cooking liquid. If desired, reserve cooking liquid. In a grill pan or a 10-inch skillet cook bratwursts over medium heat about 10 minutes or until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into bratwursts registers 160F, turning occasionally. If desired, return bratwursts to cooking liquid to keep warm until serving time.
3. To serve, place grilled bratwursts in buns. Using a slotted spoon, top with onion slices and Easy Cranberry-Pickle Relish. Makes 5 sandwiches.
Yield: 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup canned whole cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1. In a small bowl, combine canned whole cranberry sauce and sweet pickle relish.
- Servings Per Recipe 5,
- cal. (kcal) 955,
- Fat, total (g) 45,
- chol. (mg) 89,
- sat. fat (g) 20,
- carb. (g) 99,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 36,
- sodium (mg) 1840,
- Potassium (mg) 200,
- calcium (mg) 131,
- iron (mg) 6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet