Cooking brats in beer before grilling adds flavor and keeps them from burning on the outside before they're cooked on the inside. They're great for a backyard barbecue.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Add beer, brown sugar, vinegar, caraway seeds, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Place bratwursts in beer mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove bratwursts from cooking liquid. If desired, reserve cooking liquid. In a grill pan or a 10-inch skillet cook bratwursts over medium heat about 10 minutes or until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into bratwursts registers 160F, turning occasionally. If desired, return bratwursts to cooking liquid to keep warm until serving time.
- To serve, place grilled bratwursts in buns. Using a slotted spoon, top with onion slices and Easy Cranberry-Pickle Relish. Makes 5 sandwiches.
Easy Cranberry-Pickle Relish
- In a small bowl, combine canned whole cranberry sauce and sweet pickle relish.
Nutrition Facts (Beer-Braised Brats)
- Per serving:
- 955 kcal cal.,
- 45 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat,
- 89 mg chol.,
- 1840 mg sodium,
- 99 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 36 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet