- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 hamburger buns
1. Trim separable fat from meat. Cut meat into 4 or 6 pieces. Spray a cold Dutch oven with nonstick spray coating. Add half of the steak pieces and brown each piece on both sides. Remove; repeat, browning remaining steak pieces. Drain any fat. Return all meat to Dutch oven.
2. Add undrained tomatoes, onion, carrot, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, oregano, garlic, and bay leaf to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
3. Remove meat from sauce and shred meat. Simmer sauce, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir meat into sauce; heat through. Makes 8 servings.
- Transfer meat and sauce to l-, 2-, or 4-serving-size freezer containers. Cover, label, and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan; add 1 tablespoon water. Cook over low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. (Allow 8 to 10 minutes for 1 or 2 servings; 25 to 30 minutes for 4 servings. Serve on buns.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 278,
- Fat, total (g) 8,
- chol. (mg) 54,
- carb. (g) 29,
- pro. (g) 22,
- sodium (mg) 300,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet