Sandwich Star Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-1/2- to 3-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Using a 1-1/2- to 2-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut a star shape from the center of half of the cookies. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Outline and flood the cookies with cutouts with glaze-consistency white Royal Icing; sprinkle icing evenly with white nonpareils. Set cookies aside. Spread 1 teaspoon lemon curd on bottom of each cookie without a cutout. Top with a glazed cookie, bottom side down, to make a sandwich.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Sandwich Star Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet