San Francisco Seafood Stew
- Thaw fish and shrimp, if frozen. Rinse fish and shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Peel and devein shrimp; halve shrimp lengthwise. Set fish and shrimp aside.
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven cook leeks, fennel, celery, carrot, and garlic in hot oil about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato paste and Italian seasoning; cook and stir for 1 minute. Carefully add wine. Cook and stir until wine is nearly evaporated.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, the water, and clam juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add mussels and fish. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until mussels open. Discard any unopened mussels. Add shrimp; cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until shrimp are opaque. Stir in half of the parsley. Ladle soup into shallow bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
Scrub mussels in shells under cold running water. Remove beards. In an 8-quart Dutch oven combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup salt; add mussels. Soak for 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing twice.
Nutrition Facts(San Francisco Seafood Stew)
- Per serving:
- 214 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 90 mg chol.,
- 588 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet