- In a large bowl combine chilled butter and sugar. Beat butter and sugar with and electric mixture on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk; beat until fully incorporated. Add salt, vanilla, lemon zest, and white pepper. Slowly beat in flour. Using your hands, knead dough until smooth; divide in half. Wrap each dough half with plastic wrap; chill 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface roll each dough half to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 4-inch snowflake cutter, cut out snowflakes. Arrange cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 13 minutes or until edges just start to brown. Remove from oven. Cook on cookie sheets 5 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully remove cookies. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Decorate cooled cookies with Royal Icing. Makes 22 cookies.
- In a small bowl stir together 2 cups powdered sugar, 11/2 Tbsp. meringue powder, and 2 to 3 Tbs[. water until smooth. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Decorate cookies as desired. Let dry 15 to 20 minutes.
From the Test Kitchen
Note to TK: We are only doing Snowflake Cookies.
Nutrition Facts (Salty-Sweet Snowflakes)
- Per serving:
- 284 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet