Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and vanilla until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Form mixture into a ball, kneading until smooth.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in each dough ball. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light brown. If cookie centers puff during baking, re-press centers with the rounded side of a measuring teaspoon. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine caramels and whipping cream. Cook and stir over very low heat until caramels melt and are smooth. Spoon a scant teaspoon caramel mixture into each thumbprint indentation. Sprinkle each with several grains of salt.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, before sprinkling on salt, in a small saucepan heat and stir 3 ounces of coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon shortening until chocolate melts and is smooth. Spoon over cooled cookies and sprinkle with salt.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Return to room temperature before serving.
Do not substitute milk for whipping cream or texture of caramel will not be right.
Nutrition Facts (Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 124 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 89 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.