Salsa and Pork Fajitas
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place meat in cooker; add 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from cooker. Discard cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place shredded meat in a freezer container; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer meat to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for salsa verde, in a medium saucepan combine tomatillos, 1 cup water, onion, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 15 minutes; cool slightly.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the shredded meat onto each tortilla. Top with salsa verde and mango.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
For Easy Cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts (Salsa and Pork Fajitas)
- Per serving:
- 366 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 92 mg chol. ,
- 442 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.