Wheat Berry Salad
- In medium-size pot, combine the water and wheat berries. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a medium-size dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, toasted walnuts, celery, parsley, dried cherries, scallion, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. This salad will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To serve, place 1 cup of spinach leaves on each plate. Mound 3/4 cup of the wheat berry salad on top of each serving and top with slices of the Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breast. Pass lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.
Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Put chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a mallet or rolling pin so it is an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and pepper. Rub chicken breasts on both sides with olive oil, then rub the spice mixture on both sides. Coat a grill or nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until grill marks form and chicken is no longer pink, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, let rest 5 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice. The chicken will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Wheat Berry Salad)
- Per serving:
- 367 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- 0 mg chol.,
- 44 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet