- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 1 small scallion (white and green parts), chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 recipe Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breasts (see below )
- Lemon wedges for serving
1. In medium-size pot, combine the water and wheat berries. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a medium-size dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, toasted walnuts, celery, parsley, dried cherries, scallion, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. This salad will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
4. To serve, place 1 cup of spinach leaves on each plate. Mound 3/4 cup of the wheat berry salad on top of each serving and top with slices of the Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breast. Pass lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Put chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a mallet or rolling pin so it is an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and pepper. Rub chicken breasts on both sides with olive oil, then rub the spice mixture on both sides. Coat a grill or nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until grill marks form and chicken is no longer pink, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, let rest 5 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice. The chicken will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 367,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- carb. (g) 51,
- fiber (g) 9,
- pro. (g) 9,
- sodium (mg) 44,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet