Wheat Berry Salad
cup wheat berries
cup walnuts, chopped
stalks celery, thinly sliced
cup finely chopped parsley
cup dried tart cherries, chopped
small scallion (white and green parts), chopped
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves
recipe Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breasts (see below )
Lemon wedges for serving
- In medium-size pot, combine the water and wheat berries. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a medium-size dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, toasted walnuts, celery, parsley, dried cherries, scallion, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. This salad will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To serve, place 1 cup of spinach leaves on each plate. Mound 3/4 cup of the wheat berry salad on top of each serving and top with slices of the Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breast. Pass lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.
Lemon-Cumin Grilled Chicken Breasts
skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lb.)
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
teaspoons olive oil
tablespoons lemon juice
- Put chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a mallet or rolling pin so it is an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and pepper. Rub chicken breasts on both sides with olive oil, then rub the spice mixture on both sides. Coat a grill or nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until grill marks form and chicken is no longer pink, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, let rest 5 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice. The chicken will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Wheat Berry Salad)
- Per serving:
- 367 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- 0 mg chol.,
- 44 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet