Truffle Oil Salad
For this versatile side-dish salad, you pick the topping that best suits your family's time and tastes.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish: 20 mins
Truffle Oil Salad
cup rice vinegar
tablespoons lemon juice
tablespoons salad oil
tablespoons truffle oil*, sesame oil, or walnut oil
cups torn mixed salad greens
medium unpeeled tart red apples, such as Braeburn or Jonathan, cut into thin wedges or strips
turnip, peeled and cut into thin strips
cup croutons, 1 recipe Cheese Cups (see below), and/or 1 recipe Goat Cheese Slices (see below) (optional)
tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a screw-top jar combine rice vinegar, lemon juice, salad oil, truffle oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover; shake to mix thoroughly.
- Divide salad greens among 6 plates. Arrange apples and turnip over greens. Sprinkle walnuts atop. Shake dressing and drizzle each serving with about 1 tablespoon dressing. Refrigerate remaining dressing for another use. If desired, arrange croutons, Cheese Cups, and/or Goat Cheese Slices on plate with salad. Makes 6 side-dish servings. (Nutrition facts are per serving without cheese garnish.)
From the Test Kitchen
Truffle oil is available at food specialty stores and from food mail-order companies. This recipe may be halved to serve 2 or 3.
Goat Cheese Slices
ounces semisoft goat cheese
- Cut 4 ounces semisoft goat cheese into 6 slices. Coat the cheese slices with 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon or dillweed or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon or dillweed, crushed. Makes 6 slices.
ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
cup shredded Havarti cheese such as dill or other herb flavor, or smoked cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- In a medium mixing bowl beat 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened, and 1/4 cup shredded Havarti cheese, such as dill or other herb flavor, or smoked cheddar cheese (1 ounce) together until combined. Fill each pastry cup with about 1 teaspoon of cheese filling. Place filled cups on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until hot and cheese has softened. Serve warm. Makes 12 cups. Make-Ahead Tip:
- After filling cups with cheese, cover and chill until serving time. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 5 to 7 minutes or until hot and cheese has softened.
Nutrition Facts (Truffle Oil Salad)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 76 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet