- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced celery (2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup diced green apple
- 3 slices bacon, crisp cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 28 slices firm whole wheat and/or rye bread, trimmed into tombstone shapes
- 1 8 ounce container whipped cream cheese
- Finely chopped toasted pecans
- Purple kale
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, apple, and bacon.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Add to chicken mixture; stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover; chill for 2 to 24 hours.
3. To make tombstone sandwiches, spread chicken salad on half of the bread tombstones. Top with remaining bread tombstones . Spread the edges of sandwiches with cream cheese and roll edges in pecans to coat. Use cream cheese to stick tombstones to plate. Add purple kale for a creepy groundcover. Makes 14 tombstones.