Salad with Pastry Packages
cups seedless red grapes, halved
cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or blue cheese
cup chopped walnuts
sheets frozen phyllo dough (about 17x12-inch rectangles), thawed
tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
cup balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
cup salad oil
cups torn fresh spinach or mixed salad greens
cups torn red-tip leaf lettuce or radicchio
Coarsely ground pink peppercorns
small clusters of seedless red grapes (optional)
Fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl combine halved grapes, cheese, and walnuts. Set aside.
- For pastry packages, unfold phyllo dough. Cover phyllo with plastic wrap to help keep it from drying out; remove sheets as needed. Brush 1 phyllo sheet with some of the melted margarine or butter. Top with another sheet of phyllo and brush with some of the melted margarine. Add 1 more sheet for a total of 3 sheets, brushing each sheet with margarine. Use remaining phyllo and melted margarine to make a second 3-layer stack of phyllo. Trim each stack into a 14-inch square; cut each large square into four 7-inch squares.
- Place 1/4 cup of the grape-cheese mixture onto the center of one 7-inch square. Fold 2 opposite sides of phyllo over filling; fold remaining 2 sides of phyllo over, forming a square package. Press edges lightly to seal. Place, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet or 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Repeat with remaining phyllo squares and filling. Brush with any remaining melted margarine. Bake 10 minutes or until golden.
- For dressing, in a food processor bowl or blender container combine vinegar, garlic, and thyme. With food processor or blender running, slowly add the 1/4 cup salad oil; process or blend until combined. Add salt to taste.
- To serve, for each salad, place one pastry package in the center of a salad plate. Surround with spinach or salad greens and red-tip lettuce or radicchio. Drizzle the greens with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Sprinkle with pepper. If desired, garnish with small clusters of grapes and fresh chives. Makes 8 side-dish salads.
Nutrition Facts(Salad with Pastry Packages)
- Per serving:
- 338 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 396 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet