- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 large beets (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (divided)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and very thinly sliced
- 8 cups torn butterhead (Boston or bibb) lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese (chevre)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare Lemon Vinaigrette; cover and set aside.
2. Scrub beets. Wrap each beet in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until a knife can be easily inserted into beets. Cool 20 minutes or until able to handle. Trim off stem and root ends of roasted beets. Peel and cut into 1-inch pieces.
3. In a medium bowl combine beets, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
4. In another medium bowl combine fennel, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
5. Line 8 salad plates with lettuce. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Layer with beets, walnuts, fennel, goat cheese, and chives.
Yield: 2/3 cup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. In a medium bowl whisk together lemon juice, shallot, Dijon-style mustard, lemon peel, and honey. In a steady stream, slowly whisk in olive oil. Makes 2/3 cup.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 197,
- Fat, total (g) 16,
- chol. (mg) 11,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 10,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 8,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3,
- fiber (g) 4,
- sugar (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 6,
- vit. A (IU) 2089,
- vit. C (mg) 14,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 93,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 296,
- Potassium (mg) 516,
- calcium (mg) 101,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet