Roasted Beet, Goat Cheese and Fennel Salad
large beets (1 pound)
teaspoon salt (divided)
teaspoon ground black pepper (divided)
medium fennel bulbs, cored and very thinly sliced
cups torn butterhead (Boston or bibb) lettuce
cup chopped walnuts, toasted
ounces crumbled goat cheese (chevre)
tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare Lemon Vinaigrette; cover and set aside.
- Scrub beets. Wrap each beet in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until a knife can be easily inserted into beets. Cool 20 minutes or until able to handle. Trim off stem and root ends of roasted beets. Peel and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl combine beets, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- In another medium bowl combine fennel, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Line 8 salad plates with lettuce. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Layer with beets, walnuts, fennel, goat cheese, and chives.
tablespoons lemon juice
tablespoon finely chopped shallot
teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
cup olive oil
- In a medium bowl whisk together lemon juice, shallot, Dijon-style mustard, lemon peel, and honey. In a steady stream, slowly whisk in olive oil. Makes 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Beet, Goat Cheese and Fennel Salad)
- Per serving:
- 197 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 296 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet