Roasted Beet, Carrot, and Onion Salad
ounce package baby carrots (2-1/2 cups)
ounces boiling onions, peeled
ounces baby beets, peeled if desired, or beets, peeled and cut up
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoon balsamic vinegar
tablespoon orange juice
tablespoon snipped fresh parsley or chives
cups mixed baby greens
- Toss together carrots and onions. Spread evenly in half of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Place beets in opposite half of pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over vegetables. Cover with foil and bake in a 400 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Transfer carrots and onions with a slotted spoon to a storage container; cover. Transfer beets to a separate storage container; cover.
- Add 1 tablespoon hot water to baking pan, stirring to dislodge any browned bits. For dressing, combine liquid in pan, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the vinegar, orange juice, parsley or chives, salt, and pepper in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake to combine. Place greens in self-sealing plastic bag; seal.
- Transport vegetables and dressing in a picnic basket. Transport greens in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- To serve, toss together the beets, carrots and onions, greens, and dressing. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Beet, Carrot, and Onion Salad)
- Per serving:
- 107 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 129 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet