Potato Salad with Fresh Stir-Ins
At your next cookout, surround basic potato salad with bowls of flavorful stir-ins like bacon, peppers, and garden-fresh vegetables.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Roast: 40 mins to 45 mins 425°F
- Stand: 15 mins
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Place potatoes in a greased large shallow roasting pan. Drizzle with the 1/4 cup olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until just tender and browned, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare Classic Potato Salad Dressing. Toss potatoes and dressing while potatoes are hot. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- To serve, stir up to 1/3 cup milk into potato mixture to desired consistency. Place potato salad in a large serving bowl. Arrange assorted fresh stir-ins and condiments in separate bowls around the potato salad. Makes 10 to 12 side-dish servings.
If desired, potatoes can be cooked in the microwave. To microwave potatoes, omit olive oil. Place half of the potatoes in a microwave-safe 2-quart casserole. Add 3/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Micro-cook, covered, on 100 percent power (high) for 10 to 14 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender, stirring twice. Drain potatoes; set aside. Repeat with remaining uncooked potatoes, using additional water and salt.
Because hot chile peppers, such as jalapenos, contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
To toast seeds, heat them in a small skillet over medium heat about 2 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl stir together mayonnaise or salad dressing, yellow mustard, white wine vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Per serving:
- 466 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 17 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 727 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet