Don't fret over the pea pods that pop open during cooking. They add dimension to the presentation of this simple side-dish salad.
- Peel carrots. Using a vegetable peeler, carefully cut carrots into long, wide ribbons. Place in cold water to crisp. Set aside.
- Cook peas, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Drain carrot ribbons. In a large bowl combine carrot ribbons, peas, shallots, and cilantro; set aside.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine white wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, Dijon-style mustard, lemon peel, and salt. Cover; shake well. Pour dressing over peas and carrots mixture; toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for 30 to 60 minutes before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Garnish with fresh chives. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Peas-at-Ease Salad)
- Per serving:
- 65 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 64 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet