- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 medium beets (about 1 pound) or one 16-ounce can thin beet strips, rinsed and drained
- 8 baby beets
- 1/3 ounce of a 16-ounce loaf sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt (optional)
- 8 cups mesclun greens (dandelion leaves, arugula, baby lettuces, chervil, watercress, wild chicory, and/or radicchio)
- 1/2 cup bottled red wine vinaigrette
1. Wash and trim fresh beets.
2. Cook medium fresh beets, covered, in a medium saucepan in boiling water for 20 minutes. Add baby beets and cook 20 minutes more or until all beets are tender. Drain; cool slightly. Slip skins off beets. Quarter the medium beets; set aside.
3. For croutons, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Tear bread slices into pieces (you should have about 4 cups).
4. Melt butter in a large skillet. Remove from heat; stir in garlic and, if desired, salt. Add the bread pieces, stirring until coated with butter mixture.
5. Arrange croutons in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes; turn croutons over. Bake 5 to 8 minutes more or until croutons are crisp. Cool completely.
6. Arrange greens and beets on eight individual salad plates. Top with croutons and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 190,
- Fat, total (g) 10,
- chol. (mg) 8,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 21,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 4,
- vit. A (RE) 62,
- vit. C (mg) 5,
- sodium (mg) 493,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet