Mixed Greens with Beets and Garlic Croutons
- Wash and trim fresh beets.
- Cook medium fresh beets, covered, in a medium saucepan in boiling water for 20 minutes. Add baby beets and cook 20 minutes more or until all beets are tender. Drain; cool slightly. Slip skins off beets. Quarter the medium beets; set aside.
- For croutons, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Tear bread slices into pieces (you should have about 4 cups).
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Remove from heat; stir in garlic and, if desired, salt. Add the bread pieces, stirring until coated with butter mixture.
- Arrange croutons in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes; turn croutons over. Bake 5 to 8 minutes more or until croutons are crisp. Cool completely.
- Arrange greens and beets on eight individual salad plates. Top with croutons and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts (Mixed Greens with Beets and Garlic Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 190 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 493 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet