Middle Eastern Salad Plate
- For salad, peel cucumbers, if desired. Chop cucumbers and tomatoes; toss together with parsley, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Cover and chill.
- Wrap pita rounds in foil and heat in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until warm.
- Meanwhile, to make hummus, drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. In food processor bowl combine chickpeas, tahini, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of remaining olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and process until smooth, adding enough chickpea liquid until hummus is same consistency as thick oatmeal.
- Cut warm pita rounds into wedges. Spoon hummus onto plates, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with red pepper. Serve with cucumber and tomato salad. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Tahini, a puree of sesame seeds, can be found in large supermarkets, Middle Eastern markets, or other specialty food stores.
Nutrition Facts (Middle Eastern Salad Plate)
- Per serving:
- 473 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 802 mg sodium,
- 64 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet