Italian Basil, Tomato, and Pasta Salad
cup red wine vinegar
tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
teaspoon black pepper
cloves garlic, minced
cup olive oil
cup slivered fresh basil
9 ounce package frozen cut green beans
medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
cup sliced pitted kalamata olives or ripe olives
cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, pepper, and garlic. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in the slivered basil. Set dressing aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook frozen beans according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Toss one-third of the dressing with the cooked pasta; place pasta in the bottom of a very large salad bowl. Layer ingredients on top of the pasta in the following order: cooked green beans, tomatoes, and olives. Top with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the basil leaves, the Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. To serve, toss lightly to combine. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Transport in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
For 8 Servings:
Prepare using method above, except assemble salad in a large salad bowl.
Nutrition Facts(Italian Basil, Tomato, and Pasta Salad)
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 167 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet