Italian Basil, Tomato, and Pasta Salad
This fresh side salad recipe, perfect for a potluck or cookout, uses lots of basil. Make it when basil is in full supply, in the garden or at the market, during the height of summer.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs to 24 hrs
- For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, pepper, and garlic. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in the slivered basil. Set dressing aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook frozen beans according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Toss one-third of the dressing with the cooked pasta; place pasta in the bottom of a very large salad bowl. Layer ingredients on top of the pasta in the following order: cooked green beans, tomatoes, and olives. Top with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the basil leaves, the Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. To serve, toss lightly to combine. Makes 16 servings.
Transport in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
Prepare using method above, except assemble salad in a large salad bowl.
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 167 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet