Hunter's Wild Rice Chicken Salad
cups wild rice
6 1/4 ounce package chicken-flavored rice pilaf
cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken (about 1-1/2 pounds)
medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
ounces fresh pea pods, trimmed, strings removed, and pods cut into thin bite-size strips
cup bottled lemon-pepper salad dressing or vinaigrette
cup bottled French salad dressing
teaspoon ground black pepper
bunches green onions (about 10 total), cut into thin strips*
Fresh pea pods (optional)
- Rinse wild rice well. Bring the water to boiling in a large saucepan. Add wild rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and rice is tender. Drain, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook rice pilaf according to the package directions.
- Combine the wild rice, rice pilaf, chicken, sweet pepper, and pea pods strips in a large bowl.
- Stir together salad dressings and black pepper in a small bowl. Pour over rice mixture. Stir gently to mix. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, arrange green onions around edges of 6 to 8 chilled salad plates. Spoon rice mixture into center. Garnish each plate with additional pea pods, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you want to curl the green onions, place the green onion strips in ice water for 20 minutes; drain well.
Nutrition Facts(Hunter's Wild Rice Chicken Salad)
- Per serving:
- 530 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- 81 mg chol.,
- 979 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet