- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 6 ounce package long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1 recipe Dried Tomato Vinaigrette*
- 10 ounces cooked ham, beef or pork, cut into bite-size strips (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, prepare Dried Tomato Vinaigrette.
2. In a large bowl combine rice mixture, ham, peas, and green onion. Drizzle with Dried Tomato Vinaigrette. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours before serving. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- For a shortcut when making this recipe, substitute 2/3 cup bottled dried tomato vinaigrette for the Dried Tomato Vinaigrette.
- Prepare as above, except use the cooked beef or pork instead of ham. Substitute one 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained, for the peas and 2/3 cup bottled ginger vinaigrette salad dressing for the Dried Tomato Vinaigrette. If desired, add 1/4 cup shredded radishes to the rice mixture. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- Prepare as above, except substitute 8 ounces slivered prosciutto for the ham. Add 1/3 cup dried cherries and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted, to the cooked rice mixture. Substitute 2/3 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing for the Dried Tomato Vinaigrette. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- Prepare as above, except substitute 8 ounces smoked salmon, broken into chunks, for the ham and 1 cup shredded fresh spinach or arugula for the peas. Substitute 2/3 cup bottled Italian salad dressing for Dried Tomato Vinaigrette. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried tomatoes (oil packed)
- 1 tablespoon oil from dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a screw-top jar combine white wine vinegar; olive oil; finely chopped dried tomatoes (oil packed); oil from dried tomatoes; water; snipped fresh thyme or dried thyme, crushed; sugar; garlic, minced; ground coriander; paprika; and cayenne pepper. Cover and shake well. Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Shake before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 384,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 40,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 40,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 18,
- sodium (mg) 1541,
- Potassium (mg) 324,
- calcium (mg) 71,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet