Grilled Vegetable Salad
In this vegetarian main dish salad recipe, quinoa (KEEN-wah), a tiny protein-rich grain that's native to the Americas, is combined with other high nutrition grains and ingredients: barley, spinach, sweet peppers, squash, and tofu.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Marinate: 4 hrs
- Grill: 6 mins
- Cut tofu lengthwise into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Place tofu in shallow baking dish; pour 1/4 cup of the dressing over tofu. Place vegetables in a large self-sealing plastic bag set in a deep bowl. Pour 3 tablespoons of the remaining dressing over vegetables. Close bag, turning to coat. Chill tofu and vegetables 4 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
- Remove tofu from dressing, discarding dressing. Drain vegetables, reserving dressing. Grill vegetables on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Grill tofu on grill rack directly over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, or until lightly browned. Remove tofu from grill. Cut into triangles. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine squash and peppers. Add reserved dressing. Toss to coat. Set vegetables aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 2-quart pan bring 2 cups water to boiling. Place quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under running water. Add quinoa and barley to pan. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until water is nearly absorbed and grains are tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl gently toss grains with shredded sorrel and remaining chilled dressing. Serve quinoa with vegetables and tofu. Add sorrel leaves, if desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Look for quinoa (keen-wah) near the grains on your supermarket shelf or health food stores.
- Per serving:
- 202 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 mg chol.,
- 306 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet