Greek-Style Bean Salad
- Finely shred enough orange peel to make 1 teaspoon; set aside. Peel oranges. Working over a glass measure to catch the juice, section oranges (should have about 1-1/2 cups orange sections). Set juice aside. Combine the orange sections, beans, tomato, cucumber, and green onion in a large bowl.
- For dressing, combine 1/4 cup of the reserved orange juice (add additional juice, if necessary), vinegar, oregano, olive oil, the 1 teaspoon orange peel, garlic, pepper, and salt in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well. Pour dressing over bean mixture. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill bean mixture for 3 to 4 hours.
- Spray one side of each pita bread round with olive oil nonstick coating. Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Place on baking sheet. Bake in 350 degrees F oven about 5 minutes or until warm. Cut each pita round into 6 wedges.
- Meanwhile, drain marinade from bean mixture; reserve marinade as dressing. Toss together the bean mixture and torn romaine in a large bowl. Divide salad mixture among 4 dinner plates. Sprinkle each salad with feta cheese. Spoon desired amount of dressing over each salad. Serve with warm pita bread wedges. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 starch, 1/2 meat, 1-1/2 fat.
From the Test Kitchen
Citrusy Bean-Topped Bruschetta:
Mash slightly, spoon onto toasted French bread slices and sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese. Makes enough for 36 appetizers.
Nutrition Facts (Greek-Style Bean Salad)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 12 mg chol.,
- 757 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet