- Yields: 8 side-dish or 4 main-dish
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
Grains & Fruit Summer Salad
cup lightly packed fresh basil
cup lemon juice
cup olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
cup sliced green onions
cups mixed spring greens (torn Bibb lettuce and/or spring mix)
cups blueberries (9-10 oz.)
cup cantaloupe cubes
cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
small zucchini, cut lengthwise in narrow ribbons
cup walnut pieces, toasted
ounces smoked salmon, flaked (optional)
cup snipped or shredded fresh herbs (dill, basil, and/or mint)
- For basil dressing, in a blender or small food processor combine the 1 cup basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together cooked grains and green onions. Stir in about 2 tablespoons of the basil dressing to coat.
- For the salad, line a large bowl with greens. Top greens with grains mixture, blueberries, cantaloupe, tomatoes, zucchini, walnuts, and (if desired) salmon. Drizzle with half the remaining basil dressing; toss gently. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Pass remaining dressing. Makes 8 side-dish or 4 main-dish servings.
- *For 2 cups cooked quinoa, in a fine strainer rinse quinoa under cold running water; drain. In a small saucepan combine water, the quinoa, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Let stand to cool slightly. Drain off remaining liquid. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts (Grains & Fruit Summer Salad)
- Per serving:
- 207 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 91 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet