Fried Tofu and Watercress Salad
12 ounce package light, extra-firm tofu (fresh bean curd), drained
tablespoons tamari sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
cup rice vinegar
tablespoons grated fresh ginger
teaspoon Dijon-style mustard or 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
cup cooking oil
tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
teaspoons cooking oil
cups torn spinach
bunch watercress (about 1 1/2 cups)
cup sliced fresh button mushrooms or enoki mushrooms
cup red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes
- Cut tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch slices. In a 2-quart rectangular baking dish arrange slices in a single layer. Pour tamari sauce over tofu; turn slices to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for vinaigrette, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine vinegar, ginger, sugar, mustard, and salt. Cover and blend or process until combined. With blender or processor running, add the 1/3 cup oil in a thin steady stream. Blend or process for 15 seconds more.
- Drain tofu, discarding tamari sauce. In a shallow dish combine cornmeal and sesame seeds. Carefully dip tofu slices in cornmeal mixture to lightly coat both sides. In a large nonstick skillet cook tofu in the 2 teaspoons hot oil for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp and hot, carefully turning once. (You may need to cook tofu in two batches; avoid crowding the skillet.)
- In an extra-large bowl combine spinach, watercress, mushrooms, tomatoes, and red onion. Pour the vinaigrette over spinach mixture; toss to coat. Divide among 4 dinner plates. Cut the tofu slices in half diagonally. Arrange the tofu over spinach mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional sesame seeds. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Fried Tofu and Watercress Salad)
- Per serving:
- 330 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 1030 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet