Fennel And Orange Salad
It's hard to believe that such an enticing salad contains just a handful of ingredients. The stars in this simple salad are fennel and blood oranges, a tempting combo. With a short ingredient list, it's no wonder this salad is ready in 15 minutes.
- Yields: 4 side-dish servings
- Start to Finish: 15 mins
- Cut off and discard upper stalks of fennel bulbs; if desired, reserve some of the feathery leaves. Cut off a thin slice from base of fennel bulbs. Remove and discard any wilted outer layers. Wash fennel and cut each bulb into 1/4-inch slices, discarding core. Set aside.
- Peel and section blood oranges over a large bowl to catch the juice. For dressing, in the same bowl, whisk together the reserved orange juice,* the olive oil, and vinegar.
- Line four salad plates with lettuce leaves. Arrange the fennel slices and orange sections on lettuce; sprinkle with chives. Drizzle dressing over salads. If desired, garnish salads with reserved fennel leaves. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
*You need 1/2 cup orange juice for the dressing. If you don't get enough from the blood oranges, add enough orange juice to measure 1/2 cup.
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 25 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet