- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 2 medium blood oranges
- Orange juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Butterhead (Bibb or Boston) lettuce leaves
- Snipped fresh chives
1. Cut off and discard upper stalks of fennel bulbs; if desired, reserve some of the feathery leaves. Cut off a thin slice from base of fennel bulbs. Remove and discard any wilted outer layers. Wash fennel and cut each bulb into 1/4-inch slices, discarding core. Set aside.
2. Peel and section blood oranges over a large bowl to catch the juice. For dressing, in the same bowl, whisk together the reserved orange juice,* the olive oil, and vinegar.
3. Line four salad plates with lettuce leaves. Arrange the fennel slices and orange sections on lettuce; sprinkle with chives. Drizzle dressing over salads. If desired, garnish salads with reserved fennel leaves. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
- *You need 1/2 cup orange juice for the dressing. If you don't get enough from the blood oranges, add enough orange juice to measure 1/2 cup.
- cal. (kcal) 173,
- Fat, total (g) 14,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 12,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 1,
- sodium (mg) 25,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet