Classic Potato Salad
- In a medium saucepan place potatoes, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain well; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a large bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Stir in the celery, onion, and pickles. Add the potatoes and eggs. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, if desired, line a salad bowl with lettuce leaves. Transfer the potato salad to the bowl. If desired, sprinkle with paprika.
- Makes 12 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Potato Salad)
- Per serving:
- 277 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 120 mg chol. ,
- 337 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
Riggersons 517 Days Ago
Can someone discuss how to SAFELY take this to a potluck or cookout? We had a lot of people sickened in Ohio last year from eating potato salad at a cookout.
Jessica 794 Days Ago
Fantastic basic potato salad recipe. Love it. You can add a drizzle of red wine vinegar for a little tang, or boost the amount of mustard (plus, I prefer coarsely/freshly ground black pepper). Don't be afraid to try some new things to get the flavors you want. It's definitely a summer go-to for my family.
Janice Taft 830 Days Ago
Bland, bland, bland. It really needs the add-ins others have suggested.
Sid Jeffs 1167 Days Ago
My Grandma's recipe added some chopped red radishes along with the cucumber and celery.
rebecca r 1516 Days Ago
add sliced black olives...mmmm!
Linda Martinelli 1571 Days Ago
I have made my potato salad this way and it is so good, so I am told! But I use half mayo and half sour cream. And yes, toss the potatoes when warm. Can't wait to make this again.
patriotic granny 1642 Days Ago
Potato salad has to be the summer dish that is most personal!! We all swear that our mother's recipe (or ours) is the perfect one. This one comes close, but my perfect potato salad (my mom's recipe, natch) has regular old garden cucumber in it too-even the seeds; they add a cool texture. --And a couple of 'secret ingredients"-- :-) Oh- tossing the warm potatoes with the dressing is a must!
Alicia Byars 1695 Days Ago
This is fabulous. I no longer follow the recipe exactly, but people request my potato salad, and it's based on this recipe. I omit the celery and use less onion and only sweet onion, so it doesn't get strong. Also be sure to toss the potatoes with the dressing when they are still very warm so that they absorb it.