Cabbage and Fennel Slaw
The tangy mustard vinaigrette goes well with robust vegetables in this easy side dish.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yields: 8 side-dish servings
- Remove upper stalks from fennel; discard stalks. Discard any wilted outer layers on fennel bulbs; cut off a thin slice from base of bulb. Quarter fennel bulb lengthwise; slice very thinly. Set aside. For vinaigrette:
- In a small screw-top jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, mustard, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake well. Set aside.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the sliced fennel, cabbage and zucchini. Pour the vinaigrette over cabbage mixture. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
Place salad in plastic container and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Transport in an insulted cooler with ice packs.
A mandoline makes slicing the fennel simple.
- Per serving:
- 125 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 208 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet