- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 cups Italian bread torn into bite-size pieces or cut into 1-inch cubes, dried*
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped seeded tomato (3 medium)
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, cut into thin wedges and separated
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil or fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn or chopped romaine lettuce
1. In a large bowl toss together dried bread pieces, tomato, onion, and basil; set aside.
2. For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour the dressing over the bread mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Place romaine on four salad plates. Spoon bread mixture over romaine. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
- To dry bread, spread bread pieces or cubes in a shallow baking pan. Let stand overnight at room temperature, stirring once or twice. Or preheat oven to 300F. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice until dry but not toasted.
- Prepare as above, except omit vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper for the dressing. Substitute 1/4 to 1/3 cup bottled Italian salad dressing and let stand as above.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 213,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 0,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 29,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 6,
- sodium (mg) 417,
- Potassium (mg) 388,
- calcium (mg) 71,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet