- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 medium beets (about 2 pounds) or two 16-ounce cans thin beet strips, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons shredded orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint, crushed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tart green apples, coarsely chopped
1. Place fresh whole beets in a large saucepan. Cook, covered, in boiling water for 40 to 50 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool slightly; slip off skins and cut into thin strips.
2. Meanwhile, for dressing, combine salad oil, white wine vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, green onion, mint, and honey in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well.
3. Combine beet strips and half of the dressing in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate the beet mixture and the remaining dressing for 2 to 24 hours.
4. To serve, combine torn romaine and chopped apple in a mixing bowl. Toss apple mixture with the remaining dressing. Using a slotted spoon, spoon beet mixture over apple mixture in bowl. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 167,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 19,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 3,
- vit. C (mg) 18,
- sodium (mg) 88,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet