Beet and Apple Salad
medium beets (about 2 pounds) or two 16-ounce cans thin beet strips, rinsed and drained
cup salad oil
cup white wine vinegar
teaspoons shredded orange peel
cup orange juice
green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
tablespoons snipped fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint, crushed
cups torn romaine lettuce
medium tart green apples, coarsely chopped
- Place fresh whole beets in a large saucepan. Cook, covered, in boiling water for 40 to 50 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool slightly; slip off skins and cut into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, combine salad oil, white wine vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, green onion, mint, and honey in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well.
- Combine beet strips and half of the dressing in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate the beet mixture and the remaining dressing for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, combine torn romaine and chopped apple in a mixing bowl. Toss apple mixture with the remaining dressing. Using a slotted spoon, spoon beet mixture over apple mixture in bowl. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Beet and Apple Salad)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 88 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet