The flavors of pesto mix and mingle into a salad. For a meal, serve with chicken or fish.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish: 30 mins 425°F
small baguette or French roll
tablespoons olive oil
cloves garlic, minced
small head green leaf lettuce, torn (6 cups)
cups fresh basil, torn
cups grape tomatoes, halved, or chopped plum tomatoes
ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Prepare Lemon Vinaigrette; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Split baguette in half horizontally. In small bowl combine olive oil and garlic. Brush onto cut sides of baguette. Cut each bread piece lengthwise into 3 or 4 breadsticks. Place on baking sheet. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to wire rack; cool.
- In large bowl combine lettuce and basil. In 3- to 4-quart glass canister or desired container layer greens, tomatoes, pine nuts, and cheese . Serve with breadsticks and Lemon Vinaigrette. Makes 6 servings.
cup olive oil
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
cup lemon juice
cloves garlic, mnced
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In small screw-top jar combine olive oil, finely shredded lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover; shake well.
Nutrition Facts (Basil-Tomato Salad)
- Per serving:
- 449 kcal cal.,
- 33 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 20 g monounsatured fat),
- 8 mg chol.,
- 502 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet