- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese (about 2 oz.)
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. In a small saucepan combine the vinegar and sugar over medium-high heat. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally, cook until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot liquid over the rhubarb in a medium bowl and let stand until the liquid has cooled and the rhubarb is slightly tender.
2. Strain the liquid from the rhubarb, reserving both. Make a vinaigrette by whisking 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar-sugar mixture with the cup olive oil in a small bowl. Refrigerate the remaining liquid for another use.
3. Preheat the grill to medium-high or the oven to 350 degrees F. Trim off and discard the woody ends of the asparagus and toss the spears with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Place asparagus spears horizontally across the hot, oiled grill grates and grill until tender, 5 to 7 minutes, turning once or twice. Let the asparagus cool slightly, then cut the spears into 2-inch pieces. (If grilling isnt an option, roast them in the oven for 20 minutes.)
5. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus with the arugula, goat cheese, almonds, and reserved rhubarb slices. Drizzle vinaigrette over all, toss to coat, and serve.