Asparagus and Shrimp Salad
pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
tablespoons orange juice
pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
Orange juice (optional)
tablespoon olive oil or salad oil
tablespoon white wine vinegar
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups torn mixed salad greens
cup sliced green onions
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boiling. Add shrimp; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Drain in colander. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Transfer shrimp to a bowl. Add orange peel and the 2 tablespoons orange juice; toss gently to coat.
- In a covered medium saucepan, cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling water for 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain in colander. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Peel oranges. Working over a bowl, cut oranges into sections; reserve 1/3 cup of the juice. (If necessary, add additional orange juice to make 1/3 cup.) In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/3 cup orange juice, the oil, vinegar, garlic, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, asparagus, orange sections, greens, and green onions. Pour dressing over all; toss gently to coat.
Nutrition Facts(Asparagus and Shrimp Salad)
- Per serving:
- 233 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 172 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet