- To prepare artichokes, trim stems; cut off top one-fourth of artichokes. Remove outer leaves until you reach the pale green parts. Halve or cut artichokes into wedges. Brush cut edges with some of the 2 tablespoons lemon juice; add remaining juice to cooking water. Cook artichokes in a large amount of boiling water for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine mint, garlic, lemon peel, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Thinly slice fennel and red onion. Add to artichokes along with tomatoes and olives, if using. Toss in dressing.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 4 hours to meld flavors. To serve, top with cheese, if desired. Makes six (3/4-cup) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
2-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Nutrition Facts (Artichoke Salad)
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 168 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet