Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine potatoes, garlic, and bay leaf. Pour broth over all in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain potatoes in a colander over a bowl to catch the cooking juices. Remove and discard bay leaf. Return potatoes to slow cooker. Mash to desired consistency with a potato masher.
- In a small saucepan heat milk and butter until steaming and butter is almost melted. Add milk mixture, salt, and enough of the reserved cooking juices to the potato mixture to reach desired consistency. (Reserve remaining cooking juices.*) Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. If desired, garnish with bay leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, return mashed potato mixture to slow cooker; keep warm on low or warm setting for up to 2 hours. If mixture has thickened, stir in some of the reserved cooking juices to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 135 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 496 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet