Rotini with Walnut-Basil Pesto
- For pesto, in a food processor combine spinach, basil, the 2/3 cup walnuts, the cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and process with several on/off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine and scraping the sides of the bowl several times. With the machine running, gradually add oil through the feed tube. Add water if needed to reach desired consistency. Set aside.
- Cook rotini according to package directions, adding the green beans for the entire cooking time. Remove 1/3 cup of the pasta cooking water and set aside. Drain pasta mixture; keep warm
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender and mushrooms are light brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the half of the pesto* and the reserved 1/3 cup pasta cooking water to mushroom mixture. Stir until well combined. Add drained pasta mixture; toss to coat. Top with the 3/4 cup walnuts. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate and serve chilled.
From the Test Kitchen
Reserve remaining pesto for another use.
To Make Ahead:
Rotini mixture can be covered and store in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Rotini with Walnut-Basil Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 242 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 2 mg chol.,
- 138 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet