Root Veggie Chips with Sea Salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add the vegetable slices;** cook for 30 seconds. Drain vegetable slices in a colander set in a sink. Rinse with cold water and drain again. Pat vegetable slices dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl combine vegetable slices and 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on mesh-lined dehydrator trays.
- Dehydrate at 135 degrees F for 8 to 10 hours or until dry and crisp,*** shifting trays as necessary to dry chips evenly. (Timings may vary depending on the air humidity and the amount of moisture in the vegetables.) If desired, sprinkle with additional salt.
From the Test Kitchen
Use a mandoline to slice vegetables evenly.
If using beets, precook beet slices separately to prevent the red color of the beets from "bleeding" on to the other vegetables.
When done, the chips will look evenly dry, the edges will have curled, and the chips will be crisp. Remove a chip or two and let cool a few minutes. Taste for crispness. Keep drying if chips are not crisp.
Nutrition Facts (Root Veggie Chips with Sea Salt)
- Per serving:
- 50 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 223 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.