Root Vegetable Soup with Parsley Pesto
- In a Dutch oven melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves, chopped root vegetables, onion, and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in horseradish. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, spread a small spoonful of the Parsley Pesto on the cut sides of the toasted ciabatta roll halves. Place rolls on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat about 1 minute or until pesto is heated through. Drizzle any remaining pesto into the soup.
- In a food processor combine flat-leaf Italian parsley, toasted pine nuts, grated Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Process until finely chopped.
- Gradually add 2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil until desired consistency.
From the Test Kitchen
Place any remaining pesto in an airtight container. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw before using.
Nutrition Facts (Root Vegetable Soup with Parsley Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 437 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 20 mg chol.,
- 1207 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 10 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet