Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches
The day before:
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. In a large skillet cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to cooker. Add onions, 1 cup root beer, and garlic. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine 3 cups root beer and chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, stirring occasionally. If desired, stir in root beer concentrate and hot pepper sauce.
- Remove meat from cooker. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to a large bowl and discard cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Add shredded meat and sauce to onions; stir gently to coat. Transfer meat mixture to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Transfer meat mixture to a large saucepan. Reheat, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add 2 to 4 tablespoons root beer to keep mixture from sticking. Return meat mixture to cooker.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If desired, tote lettuce and tomato in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep meat mixture warm on warm-heat setting. To serve, line buns with lettuce and tomato. Fill with meat mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
2 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs (optional)
Nutrition Facts (Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 421 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 98 mg chol.,
- 1412 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet