Wild Rice Rosettes
- Yields: 24 rolls
- Prep: 1 hr 25 mins
- Rise: 45 mins + 30 min.
- Bake: 12 mins 375°F
Wild Rice Rosettes
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and parsley. Stir in cooked wild rice; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, the 3 tablespoons butter, the sugar, bouillon granules, and salt. Heat and stir just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F), the butter almost melts, and the bouillon dissolves. Add water mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease baking sheets; set aside.
- To shape rosettes, roll each dough half into a 12x10-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle crosswise into twelve 10x1-inch strips. Stretch each strip to 12 inches in length; tie in a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Tuck top end under roll; bring up bottom end and tuck it into center of roll. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush rosettes with milk. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; brush tops with melted butter. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To prepare 3/4 cup cooked wild rice, rinse 1/4 cup wild rice well. In a small saucepan, combine wild rice and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Drain, if necessary.