Sweet and Spicy Soup Sticks
cups warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
package active dry yeast
cup olive oil
cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/4 cup brown sugar
teaspoons chili powder (optional)
teaspoon ground cinnamon
Nonstick cooking spray
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm water and yeast. Stir to dissolve. Add 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, olive oil, egg, sugar, chili powder, salt, and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl (dough will be sticky). Coat a 2-quart container with cooking spray. Place dough in container. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to use, punch dough down. Turn out onto floured sheet of parchment paper. Pat or roll dough into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Transfer parchment with dough to a large baking sheet.
- Using a floured pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough width-wise into 20 strips, each about 3/4 inch wide. (Dip cutter in flour as necessary to prevent sticking.) Cover; let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Brush with olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden. Slide soup sticks onto cutting board; cool slightly. Cut apart.
Nutrition Facts(Sweet and Spicy Soup Sticks)
- Per serving:
- 137 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 122 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet