- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, water, sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and shortening almost melts; add to flour mixture along with egg and mashed potato. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or a large baking sheet. Divide each dough portion into 12 pieces. Gently pull each piece into a ball, tucking edges under to make smooth tops. Place in prepared baking pan or 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double (35 to 45 minutes).
- Bake about 20 minutes for rolls in 13x9x2-inch pan; if necessary cover with foil the last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Bake rolls on baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove rolls from pan Cool on wire racks.
- Makes 24 rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Peel and quarter 1 medium potato. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Measure 1/2 cup.
Instant Mashed Potato Rolls:
Prepare as above, except omit cooking the potatoes. Prepare packaged instant mashed potatoes (enough for one 1/2-cup serving). Substitute prepared mashed potatoes for the cooked mashed potatoes, and add an additional 1/4 to 1/3 cup flour.
Prepare as above through step 3, except do not let rise after shaping. Cover shaped rolls loosely with plastic wrap, leaving room for dough to rise. Chill for 2 to 24 hours. Let stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Potato Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 109 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 154 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet