Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, honey, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with the 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat and rye flours, 1/2 cup oats, 1/3 cup wheat germ, and 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as possible.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 6 portions. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease 2 large baking sheets and sprinkle with additional cornmeal or oats.
- To shape, divide each portion of dough into four equal portions (to make 24 total portions). Shape each portion of dough into a ball by pulling dough and pinching underneath. Flatten and pull each ball to form a 4x1-1/2-inch oval. Place on prepared baking sheets. Using kitchen shears, make three cuts about 3/4-inch deep on each oval. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a bowl, combine the beaten egg and water. Brush tops of ovals with the egg mixture. Sprinkle each with sesame seeds. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove rolls from pans. Cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Cut a square opening on the front of the gift bag. Using a glue stick, glue a piece of clear cellophane to the inside of the bag to cover the opening. Tie a holiday tag to one of the handles of the bag. Fill with rolls.
Nutrition Facts (Multigrain Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 153 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 32 mg chol.,
- 224 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet